Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel
432 Scotland Road
South Orange, NJ 07079
Reform Synagogue Offers Full Complement of Religious Services and Programs from Slichot through Sukkot for Congregants and Prospective Members
Event Date: August 31, 2013
Download Word Doc: Click Here
SOUTH ORANGE, N.J., August 16, 2013 – Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel (TSTI) of South Orange will hold High Holy Day services and related programs starting on S’lichot on August 31 through Simchat Torah on Thursday, September 26, 2013. The schedule includes guest speakers, intergenerational services, and community gatherings.
There are a limited number of free tickets available for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur services for area residents who are considering membership to TSTI. With the exception of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, all other services and programs are free and open to the public.
- Sat., Aug. 31 – S’lichot, which means “pardons” occurs on the Sabbath prior to
the start of the Jewish New Year, in preparation for the period of introspection during the High Holy Days. Program and service at 7 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 4 – The TSTI community will welcome in Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish New Year, with an outdoor gathering at 5:30 p.m., followed by an erev Rosh Hashana service at 7:30 p.m.
- Thurs., Sept. 5 – TSTI offers two morning services, at 8:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.; a lively intergenerational service for children and their families will be held at 2:15 p.m.
- Fri., Sept. 6 – Erev Shabbat Shuva (the Shabbat of repentance) at 7:30 p.m.
- Fri., Sept. 13 – Kol Nidre service is offered at 6:45 p.m. and 9:15 p.m.
- Sat., Sept. 14 – Attendees will have a choice of Yom Kippur morning services at
8:30 a.m. or 11:15 a.m. There will be a talk on “AIPAC: Israel Update” at 1:30 p.m. A spirited, family-friendly intergenerational service will be held at 2:15 p.m. Afternoon and concluding ne’ilah service, with yizkor, will begin at 3:30 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 18 – The festival of Sukkot begins after sundown. In preparation,
TSTI invites everyone to a sukkah decorating and dessert party at 6 p.m.
- Thurs., Sept. 19 – Festival service for Sukkot will take place at 10:30 a.m. and
will include waving of the lulav and etrog, symbols of the holiday.
- Thurs., Sept. 26 – Yizkor is observed as the Sukkot festival concludes; the service will be at 10:30 a.m. followed by a Torah text study.
- Fri., Sept. 27 – The TSTI community celebrates the joy of Simchat Torah with a
lively service and installation of the Board of Trustees, starting at 6 p.m.
Services will be led by Rabbi Daniel Cohen and Associate Rabbi Ellie Miller with Cantors Rebecca Moses and Joan Finn. For ticket availability for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, prospective members may contact Executive Director Leslie Sporn at (973) 769-4116.
Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel is a vibrant Reform congregation located at 432 Scotland Road in South Orange, N.J. The temple offers Jewish preschool, Hebrew school, teen programs, lifelong learning for adults, and a full complement of religious services and cultural programs each month. TSTI serves member families from Maplewood, the Oranges, Livingston, Millburn, Short Hills, and surrounding areas. For more information, visit www.tsti.org.