Download Word Document: Click Here
SOUTH ORANGE, N.J., April 30, 2021 — Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel (TSTI), the Reform synagogue in South Orange, is offering an array of virtual programs in May that are open to the public. Advance registration for all online programs is required.
- Wed., May 5, 7:00 p.m. – Learn how the Great Migration of African Americans changed the landscape of American art in “Art by African Americans: From the Great Migration to the Age of Black Lives Matter.” Part I of this two-part series will explore the rich contributions these pioneers made to American culture, from the Harlem Renaissance through the civil rights movement. Part 2 is scheduled for June 2. Register to receive the Zoom link at https://bit.ly/2SdNlyl.
- Tues., May 11 & 25, 9:30 a.m. – Beth Sandweiss leads a twice-monthly meditation class that focuses on the breath, lovingkindness and awareness in a Jewish context. Registration is at https://bit.ly/2HHKHvR.
- Tues., May 11, 7:00 p.m. – Share an evocative, tender account of Greenwich Village life with Donna Florio, a lifelong resident of Bank Street, who will discuss her book, “Growing Up Bank Street: A Greenwich Village Memoir” in which she shares stories of her life in one of New York City’s most dynamic neighborhoods. Florio was raised surrounded by beatniks, artists and performers, social visionaries and others—including celebrities—whose vibrant, eccentric lives provided her with a colorful coming of age against the backdrop of an iconoclastic NYC street. Register at https://bit.ly/2PycYJ8.
- Fri., May 14, 5:30 p.m. – TSTI’s Young Family Shavuot celebration will teach young children and families about the holiday and includes a story, songs and making ice cream together. Preregistration is required at http://bit.ly/YFShavuot. The supply list and recipe for “ice cream in a bag” is at https://bit.ly/3xCO1O6.
- Sun., May 16, 6:30 p.m. – Join with Jewish communities throughout the East Coast for prayer and learning in celebration of Shavuot with a “tikkun leyl”—an interstate evening of study. After setting an intention and participating in the recitation of the 10 Commandments, attendees will choose from multiple learning sessions available each hour from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. To register go to http://bit.ly/standingsinai.
- Wed., May 19, 7:00 p.m. – Enjoy a tour of three cities that were once home to vibrant Jewish communities, as guide Gadi Ben Dov leads a virtual tour and class, “Eastern European Jewish Cities: Prague, Krakow, Warsaw.” Jewish life and connection grew in these beautiful cities beginning in the 10th century until the Holocaust. Ben Dov, a licensed tour guide in Israel, provides a sense of each city’s history and connection to Jewish community. Register in advance at https://bit.ly/3nzqJDO.
About Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel
432 Scotland Road, South Orange, NJ 07079